How to Save Money on Your Greece Trip
Are you planning a trip to Greece but don’t want to break the bank? Don’t worry, you can still have an amazing time in this beautiful country without spending a fortune. One of the best ways to save money is by choosing the right time to fly.
When is the Cheapest Time to Fly to Greece?
According to Skyscanner, the cheapest months to book a flight to Greece are September, October, and November. This means that if you plan your trip for these months, you’re more likely to find a good deal on your flight. In fact, if you book a flight in November, you could save up to 18% when compared to the average yearly flight price.
Why are these months cheaper?
The reason these months are cheaper is that they fall outside of the peak tourist season. In the summer, Greece is at its busiest with tourists from all over the world flocking to the country to enjoy the warm weather and beautiful beaches. However, in the fall, the crowds start to thin out, and the prices of flights and accommodations drop as a result.
Real Life Example
Let’s say you’re planning a trip to Greece in the summer and you’re looking to fly from New York to Athens. A quick search on Skyscanner shows that the average price for a round-trip flight in July is around $1000. However, if you were to plan your trip for November instead, the average price drops to around $800. That’s a savings of $200 just by choosing a different time to fly.
Tips for Finding the Best Deals
Here are a few tips to help you find the best deals when planning a trip to Greece:
- Be flexible with your travel dates. If you can be flexible with your travel dates, you’ll have a better chance of finding a cheaper flight.
- Compare prices. Use a website like Skyscanner to compare prices from different airlines and travel agencies.
- Book in advance. The earlier you book your flight, the more likely you are to find a good deal.
- Check for sales and promotions. Keep an eye out for sales and promotions from airlines and travel agencies.
Other ways to save money while in Greece
Once you have your flight booked, there are a few more ways to save money while you’re in Greece.
- Choose budget-friendly accommodation: Instead of staying in a fancy hotel, consider staying in a budget-friendly hostel or vacation rental. This can save you a significant amount of money, leaving you with more to spend on other things.
- Eat like a local: Instead of eating at expensive restaurants, try eating like a local. Greece is famous for its street food and traditional tavernas, where you can get delicious meals at a fraction of the cost.
- Use public transportation: Greece has a good public transportation system that can take you to most places you want to go. This is cheaper than taking a taxi or renting a car.
- Avoid peak tourist season: As mentioned earlier, the peak tourist season in Greece is the summer, and this is when prices are at their highest. If you can, try to avoid this time of year.
- Be mindful of your spending: It’s easy to get carried away when on vacation, but try to be mindful of your spending. Make a budget and stick to it, so you don’t overspend.
Real life example
Let’s say you’re planning a week-long trip to Greece in September. Instead of staying in a fancy hotel, you choose to stay in a budget-friendly hostel for $20 per night. You also choose to eat like a local, spending an average of $10 per meal. You use public transportation to get around, and avoid peak tourist season activities. By the end of your trip, you’ve saved a total of $500 compared to staying in a hotel, eating at expensive restaurants and renting a car.
Visiting Greece on a budget is possible. All you need to do is plan accordingly. By choosing to fly in September, October, or November, you can save money on your flight, and have more to spend on experiences and souvenirs during your trip. Remember to be flexible, compare prices, book in advance and check for sales and promotions to find the best deal for you. With a little bit of planning and research, you’ll be on your way to an unforgettable Greece trip, without breaking the bank!
I am an internet worker who enjoys travel all over the world. I write in this website to share my passion and tips to fly cheaper and to find great deals of the most popular airlines. I will also add some help guides and tutorials for the frequently asked questions.